My New Blog

How to dispute my city Property Tax Assessment?
May 22nd, 2013 2:28 PM

In the last Blog I discussed Historic Tax Credits. Taxes are again the topic, however; this week we'll discuss ways to appeal your property tax assessment.

August 1st begins the two week period each year that we as homeowners are allowed to march down to City Hall and appeal our tax assessment. In the past two years, the Assessor's Office has reassessed the majority of properties in New Orleans. While I feel they have overall done a fair job of assessing current values, there are some homes that have been overvalued.

When you feel your home is overvalued there are several things you should collect prior to heading downtown.

1. Interior and exterior photographs of your home to show current condition and overall size.

2. Insurance documents showing the amount your home is insured for.

3. An appraisal completed preferably during the prior twelve months showing a floor plan with gross living area.

-Gross living area is the total livable area that is heated and cooled. All appraisals should have this .

The Assessor will look at the documentation you provide and compare it with the data they have on file. Typically, the problem is an inaccurate gross living area, or condition.

Regardless of the discrepancy, the Assessor's Office will take a good look at the problem and, I find are quite willing to make a reasonable change.

You can find more information on the Orleans Parish Assessor's Office website


Posted in:General
Posted by Gregory Heimsoth on May 22nd, 2013 2:28 PMPost a Comment

Subscribe to this blog